SCDN/Blightbusters FORUM: Community Blight Prevention and Mitigation
Monday, October 23, 2017
12:30 pm – Registration
1:00 pm – 4:30 pm – Forum
Steel Rivers Councils of Government Building
1705 Maple Street, Homestead PA 15120
FREE – Refreshments will be provided
Experiencing population decline and changing patterns of development, many of the region’s communities face the daunting challenges caused by property blight and abandonment.
Please join Steel Rivers and Turtle Creek Councils of Government and Sustainable Pittsburgh for a forum to explore the ways, some innovative and some traditional, a municipality or community can work to lessen the impacts of blight to the benefit of neighborhood vibrancy.
Featured will be experts from Allegheny County Health Department, Westmoreland County Land Bank, Allegheny County Housing Authority, Swissvale Borough, TriCOG Landbank, City of McKeesport and others. You will hear:
- How community health outcomes differ in neighborhoods affected by significant levels of blight;
- How proactive and innovative code enforcement practices that include the enforcement of property maintenance, building, and fire codes, can encourage neglectful land owners to make necessary improvements;
- How land banking efforts can make it easier to put vacant and abandoned properties back on the tax roles;
- How embracing affordable housing can help prevent slumlords from taking root in your community;
- How effective and implementable comprehensive planning can steer your community towards a more sustainable future.
Please join us and share your experiences, learn from your peers, and network with regional professionals who are experiencing many of the same challenges confronting communities like yours.