The Local Government Academy is offering the Contemplating Governing course on the following dates/locations:
- Community College of Beaver County | Thursday 4/20/2017 | 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Community College of Beaver County | Saturday 4/22/2017 | 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
Contemplating Governing is not political training — instead, it focuses on the tasks and issues facing local government in the 21st century. Municipalities sit at the crossroads of many issues that affect daily life. Responsible campaigns by well-informed candidates are essential to build public trust. If you are running for local office, are you confident in your knowledge of the duties you seek?
This program provides citizens the chance to consider the opportunities, challenges, requirements and reasons to serve in local elected office. Topics include:
- Understanding the Pennsylvania local government environment, including powers and duties of various boards and commissions, such as city and borough councils, township commissioners or supervisors and school boards.
- Overcoming obstacles to running and meeting legal requirements.
- Determining what is a responsible campaign pledge.
- Understanding local government taxation and services.
- Measuring board effectiveness.
- Local government’s important role in community sustainability.