Sustainable Pittsburgh Webinars
See below for the quick list of webinar topics, along with a brief summary of each, and access to the recordings and slides. We welcome you to share these resources!
- 2023 Webinars
- 2022 Webinars
- 2021 Webinars
- 2020 Webinars
- Navigating the CARES Act/Paycheck Protection Program for Small Businesses
- Tools for Holding Public Meetings & Engaging your Community Online
- Creating a “Buddy System” for At-Risk Persons: A How To for Communities
- Ensuring & Communicating Takeout-Food Safety Amid COVID-19
- Food Access for Our Communities: A Win-Win Partnership for Restaurants to Help People In Need
- Sustainability Amid Crisis: Adapting for Impact
- Leading Forward: 2020 C-Suite Summit
Tools & Tactics for Workplace Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
April 14, 2021
Workplace diversity fosters innovation, provides an edge for top talent, and is correlated with higher returns and earnings. McKinsey & Company reports companies in the top quartile for racial and ethnic diversity are 35% more likely to have financial returns above their respective national industry medians.
- Lora M. McKnight, COO and Vice President, Programs & Services, Vibrant Pittsburgh
- Dina Clark, Head of Diversity & Inclusion, Covestro, LLC
- Jeremy Shapira, Chief Inclusion, Equity & Diversity Officer, Giant Eagle
- Robert James, Chief Diversity Officer, Highmark Health
- Paul David Spradley, Ph.D., Assistant VP of Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity, Dollar Bank
11th Sustainability Conference
Building and Planning for an Equitable and Healthy Future
Thursday May 6, 2021 – Friday May 7, 2021
- American Society of Civil Engineers (Pittsburgh Section)
- Environmental and Water Resources Institute (Pittsburgh Chapter)
- Sustainable Pittsburgh
In Partnership With:
- American Public Works Association
- City of Pittsburgh
- Local Government Academy
Sustainability Amid Crisis: Adapting for Impact
October 8, 2020
Led by CEOs for Sustainability and Sustainable Pittsburgh, sustainability leaders from FedEx Ground, Interface, and PNC Financial Services Group described how their organizations are advancing aggressive commitments for carbon-emissions reduction, regenerative manufacturing practices, and racial equity, despite challenges associated with the COVID-19 crisis. This virtual event also featured the release of the Kendall Simon Sustainable Business Case Study featuring FedEx Ground and its work embedding sustainability within FedEx’s global operations.
Leading Forward: 2020 C-Suite Summit
November 18, 2020
Join CEOs for Sustainability as this executive network present a vision for a sustainable economic recovery and demonstrates how participating companies are leading forward.
- Gretchen O’Hara, Vice President of AI Country Strategy and Sustainability Partnership, Microsoft
- Diane Holder, President and CEO, UPMC Health Plan
- Haakan Jonsson, Ph.D., Chairman and President, Covestro LLC
- Jana D. Lake, President, 3R Sustainability
- Jodi Rennie, VP and General Manager, Turner Construction
- Sara Thompson, Principal, Pashek + MTR
Tools for Holding Public Meetings & Engaging your Community Online
April 9, 2020
In this uncertain period of social distancing and office closures, connecting with your community members and providing services and information is more challenging than ever. During this webinar, Sustainable Pittsburgh highlights a few useful and accessible public engagement and information online platforms available to municipalities.
- Brief overview of crisis communications best practices
- Technical assistance – practical ways we can help
- Relevant platforms for public engagement
- Social media: options available and how to optimize
- Tools for hosting official municipal meetings, taking surveys of your residents and businesses, sending and receiving timely information to and from your community, and some of the best practices related to those tools.
Food Access for Our Communities: A Win-Win Partnership for Restaurants to Help People In Need
April 29, 2020
The disruption to our food system caused by COVID-19 has been felt throughout all communities. Among many challenges being faced is keeping people fed, especially our children. Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank has seen five times the need based on usual output, with demand showing no signs of slowing.
During this webinar, Sustainable Pittsburgh, the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, the Pittsburgh Food Policy Council, and Scratch Food & Beverage communicate how your restaurant can help feed people in need through the Federal Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and what compensation is available for your restaurant’s participation. The SFSP ensures children have access to nutritious meals and snacks when school is not in session.
Creating a “Buddy System” for At-Risk Persons: A How To for Communities
April 16, 2020
With the COVID-19 pandemic disrupting everyday life, vulnerable populations need support now more than ever before. During this one-hour webinar, hear how Lawrenceville United, Cranberry Township, and the Triboro Ecodistrict are implementing safe “buddy systems” to address this need. These initiatives can provide immediate support today, and can also build a foundation of volunteers for a lasting community-response initiative.
Ensuring & Communicating Takeout-Food Safety Amid COVID-19
April 23, 2020
The role of businesses and organizations that provide food for consumers is ever more critical. For restaurants, it’s imperative that proper safety precautions are being taken — to increase consumer confidence, as well as to protect them, employees, delivery drivers, and the livelihood of the business. During this webinar, you’ll learn safety tips and best practices that can be implemented at your establishment to ensure that safety remains paramount during this time.
- Hear from Sherree Goldstein, owner of Square Cafe, about how she’s successfully adapted business operations to meet these needs and communicated her efforts to customers.
- Safety questions are answered by experts from the Food Safety Division of the Allegheny County Health Department. Learn how they can support safe operations of your business, especially now in response to the COVID crisis.
- Access webinar recording
- Access slides for “Ensuring & Communicating Takeout-Food Safety Amid COVID-19”
Navigating the CARES Act/Paycheck Protection Program for Small Businesses
April 8, 2020
In this period of business and financial uncertainty, there are a plethora of resources available to provide assistance for your business. During this webinar, you will learn about gaining access to loans like the Paycheck Protection Program (which resumed operation 4/27/2020), eligibility, timelines/turnarounds, loan forgiveness, technical support available to assist through the process, and other resources available for small businesses during this time.
Heather Thomas VP, Sr. SBA Business Development Officer, Huntington Bank
Lindsay Cost VP, Sr. SBA Product Specialist, Huntington Bank