Sustainable Pittsburgh is pleased to announce it is recipient of two prestigious awards: the 2015 Western Pennsylvania Environmental Award and the 2015 Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence. The awards recognize SP’s Regional Sustainability Performance Programs – raising the bar for sustainable businesses, government, and nonprofits:
– Pittsburgh Green Workplace Challenge (for businesses, nonprofits, colleges/universities, local governments, and K-12 schools)
– Sustainable Small Business Designation (for small businesses)
– SWPA Sustainable Business Compact (for mid to large businesses)
– Sustainable Pennsylvania Community Certification (for municipalities and taken statewide in partnership with the PA Municipal League)
– Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurants (now in development)
These voluntary programs provide a pathway for organizations to advance their sustainability goals and objectives, resulting in positive impacts for the organization, the local community, and for the region. Cost savings, healthier and engaged employees, and positive recognition are just a few of the benefits participants can derive.
Together Sustainable Pittsburgh’s sustainability performance programs have led hundreds of organizations of all sizes and types to implement best practices to conserve resources, save money and reduce emissions.
The Western Pennsylvania Environmental Awards recognizes and honors outstanding achievements of organizations, businesses, and individuals in a wide range of environmental initiatives throughout the region and pays tribute to those that have demonstrated a commitment to environmental excellence, leadership, and accomplishment in their respective fields. The Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence recognizes Pennsylvania businesses, farms, government agencies, educational institutions, non-profit organizations and individuals that have created, or participated in, the development of a project that promotes environmental stewardship and economic development in the state.