What is Sustainability?
Sustainability is a comprehensive approach that simultaneously integrates social equity, environmental stewardship, and economic prosperity in decision-making. Ensuring a sustainable region, community, business, organization – is built to last – requires all three elements.
Because sustainability isn’t just one thing, every sustainability journey requires multiple steps. Sustainable Pittsburgh exists to help our region navigate this complexity in strategic and effective ways.
At Sustainable Pittsburgh, we empower decision-making that builds a fundamentally equitable, resilient, healthy, and prosperous region.
We see a thriving region where stakeholders are connected, sustainability knowledge is shared and applied, and all people can succeed.
- Impact – Our work is focused on maximizing regional impact
- Credibility – We continually learn and renew our reputation as trusted experts and professionals in the field
- Collaboration – Central to our efforts is the knowledge that we can do more when we work together, internally and with external partners
- Resourcefulness – We are flexible, innovative, and creative in accomplishing our goals
- Open-mindedness – We are willing to learn where others are, and to expand or change our perspective. We approach our work from a place of love and joy.