- The Carbon Reduction Sprint is a free and friendly 6-month competition for businesses, organizations, and municipalities to jumpstart progress on carbon-emissions reduction and earn recognition for their achievements.
- The competition runs from December 4, 2023 through June 28, 2024.
- Any workplace, from any sector and at any stage of sustainability advancement, is encouraged to be part of this online competition: shops, restaurants, nonprofits, hospitals, universities, municipalities and more!
- Participating organizations compete against peers and questions are tailored to the competitor’s sector.
- Organizations may enter the Sprint competition at any time.
- More information available at https://sustainablepittsburgh.org/sprints
How the Sprint Works
- The Carbon Reduction Sprint features a subset of topical questions from Sustainable Pittsburgh’s suite of designation programs (Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurant, Shop, Workplace, and Sustainable Pennsylvania).
- The actions taken during a sprint can help organizations in their efforts to achieve full designation, or it can help currently designated organizations advance to a higher level (Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze).
- If you do not have an account with Sustainable Pittsburgh, you will need to create one. Visit https://sustainablepittsburgh.org/take-action/recognition-programs/program-login/ to CREATE or LOG IN to your account. Then:
- Wait for a confirmation email from Sustainable Pittsburgh to complete login (only for those creating new accounts)
- Click on the “Begin” (for new users),“Continue” (for returning users), or “Redesignate” (for already designated users) button on your dashboard.
- Select the “Sprint Ahead” button to filter the designation view on screen down to Carbon Reduction Sprint-specific actions only.
- Start earning points and get in on the competition!
- As organizations engage with the sprint through the online platform, they will answer a series of questions around carbon reduction actions, each assigned a point value. Questions cover actions related to clean energy adoption, incentives and infrastructure for multi-modal transit, responsible procurement, protecting green space and more.
- Questions are tailored for the type of organization competing. For example:
- A business may be asked, “Which actions has your organization taken to encourage and incentivize sustainable commutes/business travel?”
- A restaurant may be asked, “Do you maintain the temperature of your hot water heater at the lowest temperature allowed per health regulations?”
- A shop may earn points if the business sells products of which at least 25% are made in local markets
- A municipality may be asked: “Do municipal land use ordinances protect or expand valuable green space and ecologically important assets?”
- Competitors will track performance through regularly updated Sprint leaderboards available on the Sustainable Pittsburgh website.
- Sustainable Pittsburgh will host an awards ceremony and celebration in 2024 to recognize the top scorers.
Why Participate in the Carbon Reduction Sprint
Organizations with a commitment to decarbonization, the reduction of carbon emission from human systems and activities, can reduce costs, see higher returns, gain an edge for top talent, and improve resilience against extreme events that impact operations.
In fact, an Ernst & Young study found that companies taking the boldest steps on climate action were 2.4 times more likely to report “significantly higher-than-expected financial value as a result of their climate initiatives.”
Join a community of like-minded people and gain access to resources and tools to help advance sustainability performance.
Graphic for sharing on social media and on websites
Carbon Reduction Sprint flyer
Social Media Posts
Workplaces: Compete against peers and earn points and recognition for advancing carbon emissions reduction. Every action adds up. Learn how your organization can make a difference. https://sustainablepittsburgh.org/sprints/
It’s time to compete, save, and WIN! Be part of the Carbon Reduction Sprint, a 6-month competition for organizations to jumpstart progress on reducing carbon emissions and gain recognition for achievements! Learn more and sign up! https://sustainablepittsburgh.org/sprints/
Businesses and organizations with a commitment to carbon-emissions reductions can reduce costs, see higher returns, gain an edge for top talent, and improve resilience against extreme events that impact operations. See what it’s all about: “Sprint Ahead” with the Carbon Reduction Sprint, a 6-month, friendly competition. Learn more and sign up today. https://sustainablepittsburgh.org/sprints/
Sustainable Pittsburgh Social Media:
Sprint Overview (for newsletters and websites)
Join the Carbon Reduction Sprint!
It’s time to compete, save, and WIN! Sprint ahead of the competition by participating in Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Carbon Reduction Sprint, a free and friendly, 6-month competition for businesses, organizations and municipalities to jumpstart progress on reducing carbon emissions and gain recognition for their achievements.
During the Sprint, competitors take actions and earn points in areas covering clean energy, multi-modal transportation (cycling, walking, transit), responsible procurement, and more. The competition runs now through June 28, 2024 and competitors may join at any time. Organizations compete against peers in their sectors to earn the top spot in their category! Leaderboards are updated regularly to track progress. Sustainable Pittsburgh will recognize Top Scorers at an awards ceremony later this year.
Organizations with a commitment to decarbonization – the reduction of carbon emissions from human systems and activities – can reduce costs, see higher returns, gain an edge for top talent, and improve resilience against extreme events that impact operations. In fact, an Ernst & Young study found that companies taking the boldest steps on climate action were 2.4 times more likely to report “significantly higher-than-expected financial value as a result of their climate initiatives.”
Take action, earn points, and gain recognition. Learn more and sign up for the Carbon Reduction Sprint today! SustainablePittsburgh.org/sprints