Commit to a resilient business and region
CEOs for Sustainability is exemplary executive leadership and collaboration to drive positive change in the region.
We’re asking businesses to lead forward by committing to a sustainable economic recovery and taking action toward that end.
Sustainable Business is Good Business
Savvy business leaders are the driving force behind transformational sustainability strategies, linking business sustainability performance, financial performance, and regional quality of life.
88% of employees say working for a company with a strong purpose is more important to them than ever before.Porter Novelli Purpose Tracker, August 2020
Companies in the top quartile for racial and ethnic diversity are 35% more likely to have financial returns above their respective national industry medians.Why Diversity Matters, McKinsey & Co.
Low-emissions products and services represent $2.1T in opportunity.CDP
Sustainability meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It is a process of continual improvement.
In business, this means that in addition to financial performance, a company prioritizes its social and environmental actions. A sustainable business strategy is a long-term view that helps identify operational efficiencies and new opportunities, mitigates risk, and positions the company as a desirable place to work and invest in.
A sustainable business strategy pays off.
- Broader, more equitable economic growth for all
- Greater pay equity, health insurance access, and personal resiliency for minority populations
- Minority communities strengthened by policies favoring local minority-owned businesses
- New jobs in the trades, tech, energy efficiency, and electrified fleets
- New business models and opportunities in clean energy
- Reduced carbon emissions and air pollution
- Mitigated climate risk to operations, supply chain
2021 Events TBA
2020 CEOs for Sustainability C-Suite Summit, Presented by UPMC Health Plan
During this November 18th event, CEOs for Sustainability leaders called upon their peers in the Pittsburgh region to take action around three priorities for achieving a sustainable economic recovery: advance racial and ethnic equity, support local businesses and communities, and reduce carbon emissions. Several C-Suite leaders shared how their businesses are responding to challenges and using a sustainability strategy as a competitive advantage. Microsoft’s Vice President of AI Country Strategy and Sustainability Partnership Gretchen O’Hara delivered the keynote speech, sharing practical insights on how Microsoft is addressing society’s most pressing challenges, including plans to be carbon negative by 2030. Additional featured speakers included:
- Diane Holder, President and CEO, UPMC Health Plan
- Haakan Jonsson, Ph.D., Chairman and President, Covestro LLC
- Jana D. Lake, President, 3R Sustainability
- Jodi Rennie, VP and General Manager, Turner Construction
- Sara Thompson, Principal, Pashek + MTR
Resources for Leading Forward
The crises of 2020 have wrought hardship on many families and businesses in southwestern Pennsylvania. The CEOs for Sustainability business network, hosted by the nonprofit Sustainable Pittsburgh, is committed to “leading forward” on a sustainable economic recovery. These business leaders are calling on the region’s workplaces to take actions vital to supporting a sustainable recovery that works for all:
- supporting local communities and businesses through the pandemic crisis,
- advancing racial and ethnic equity through their own business operations, and
- reducing their companies’ carbon footprint.
A win-win for business and community
By applying a business strategy around these three priorities, businesses gain a competitive advantage and demonstrate their leadership in the community.
The Leading Forward Roadmap, developed by Sustainable Pittsburgh, provides a framework for how businesses can take actions around these priority areas.
The Roadmap includes strategic steps, customizable tools, and regional resources to support “leading forward” on a sustainable economic recovery for all.
Meet the CEOs for Sustainability
Chair Charles Toran
Thanks to the CEOs for Sustainability sponsors: