Jumpstart progress on key sustainability topics and earn bragging rights through these fun, friendly competitions.
Carbon Reduction Sprint
Organizations with a commitment to decarbonization, or the reduction of carbon emission from human systems and activities, can reduce costs, see higher returns, gain an edge for top talent, and improve resilience against extreme events that impact operations.
In fact, an Ernst & Young study found that companies taking the boldest steps on climate action were 2.4 times more likely to report significantly higher-than-expected financial value as a result of their climate initiatives.
Compete. Save. Win.
Compete in the Carbon Reduction Sprint, a fun, free, and friendly, 6-month competition for businesses, organizations, and municipalities to jumpstart progress on carbon-emissions reduction and earn recognition for their achievements! The competition runs from December 4, 2023 through June 28, 2024.
During the Sprint, organizations will compete against peers and take actions to earn points for demonstrating a commitment to:
- Clean energy adoption, including energy efficiency, renewable energy and greenhouse gas reduction
- Infrastructure and incentives that promote use of multi-modal transit options, including biking, walking and public transit
- Protecting or increasing green space
- Procurement plans that prioritize local, reusable and/or recycled products.
Although there are many other actions that can contribute to carbon-emissions reductions, these are the themes we are focusing on for the purposes of this time-limited Sprint.
- Educational opportunities
- Marketing and recognition
- Awards ceremony in 2024
- Support and guidance from the Sustainable Pittsburgh team and partner organizations
- Leaderboard updates at SustainablePittsburgh.org, showing who’s topping the charts!
- Leverage points earned in the Sprint toward a higher designation level in our recognition programs: Restaurant, Shop, Workplace, and Sustainable Pennsylvania
Organizations from multiple sectors and at any stage of sustainability advancement are eligible to participate! Check out our FAQs page for more information.
Get a jump on the competition. Create an account or log in today to get started:
- Visit https://sustainablepittsburgh.org/take-action/recognition-programs/program-login/ to CREATE or LOG IN to your account.
- Wait for a confirmation email from Sustainable Pittsburgh to complete login (only for those creating new accounts)
- Click on the “Begin” (for new users), “Continue” (for returning users), or “Redesignate” (for already designated users) button on your dashboard.
- Select the “Sprint Ahead” button to filter the designation view on screen down to Carbon Reduction Sprint-specific actions only.
- Start earning points and get in on the competition!
Thank You to our Carbon Reduction Sprint Official Partners
What is a Sustainable Pittsburgh Sprint?
Sustainable Pittsburgh Sprints enable organizations to compete against peers in earning points for actions that advance social equity, carbon-emissions reduction, or another critical topic. Any workplace, from any sector and at any stage of sustainability advancement, is encouraged to be part of these three- or six-month bursts. Organizations can rally employees toward quick progress, track performance against peers through Sprint leaderboards, and earn recognition as sustainability leaders.
Value to our Region
Organizations that prioritize sustainability are employers and partners of choice, contributing to more vibrant, equitable communities and a healthy environment.
Value to Participating Organizations
Whether your organization is new to sustainability or more advanced in its practices, Sprints offer tools, resources, and connections to advance progress in an essential focus area.