September 12, 2018
PNC Park, Pittsburgh, PA
Sustainable Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Pirates hosted a workshop to detail the latest waste and recycling options for businesses, organizations, institutions, and municipalities located in Southwestern PA. It attracted a wide range of attendees, including professionals in sustainability, operations, and facilities management; managers, staff, and elected officials from local governments; and citizens advocating for responsible waste management programs in their schools and communities.
Local waste management experts and sustainability pros shared updates on recycling and waste management markets, along with best practices for establishing a program, forming a waste hauler contract, getting employees and community citizens on board, and more. Immediately following the workshop, participants got to see responsible waste management in action during a tour of PNC Park and the Pittsburgh Pirates’ cleaning operations.
As a highlight of the workshop, Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Business Sustainability Pros introduced the new Material and Waste Management Resource Guide for Southwestern PA, a project of the Materials and Recycling Group of Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Champions for Sustainability network.
To download the free resource guide, see Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Responsible Waste Management page.
- Abby Lawler-Morycz, Allegheny County
- Kathy Hrabovsky, Allegheny County
- Marcie Eberhart, American Eagle Outfitters
- Pam Adams, Centre Region Council of Governments
- Debbie DeLong, Ph.D., Chatham University
- Rebecca Kiernan, City of Pittsburgh
- Kim Olivito, FedEx Ground
- Phyllis Barber, Highmark
- Justin Stockdale, Pennsylvania Resources Council
- Sissy Burkhart, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Gina Johnson, Sustainable Pittsburgh
- Jim Price, Sustainable Pittsburgh
- Allison Robinson, Ph.D., UPMC
- Erika Deyarmin-Young, Waste Management
VIDEO: PBS NewsHour Recycling Market Update